10 Steps After a DUI
Counsel from a Las Vegas DUI Attorney
Being charged with a DUI is a stressful time for anyone. If you have been
released from police custody with an upcoming court date, there are certain
steps you should take to ensure you have a fighting chance at beating
your DUI charge. As a Las Vegas DUI attorney, I can properly advise you
on how to handle your case and craft a strong, strategic defense.
Here are 10 steps to take once you have been charged with DUI:
- Exercise your right to remain silent. Don't give officers any details
to use against you!
- List your eating and drinking pattern in detail so can challenge the police
officer's breath or blood test results.
- Obtain receipts for the food and alcohol you purchased just before bring
arrested for DUI. This may be able to help you establish a firm timetable
on how "intoxicated" you really were.
- Call my Las Vegas DUI firm to discuss all the detail of your case so I
can build a defense for you.
- Checked to see if you suffer from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
or other heartburn conditions. Those with such conditions can often get
faulty readings during a DUI breath test.
- See your dentist to see if you suffer from cavities, gingivitis, food impactions,
or dental pockets which can cause residual mouth alcohol after drinking
and give false breathalyzer readings.
- Note if you have been recently exposed to certain chemicals and industrial
compounds that can contaminate your breath and also give false breathalyzer readings.
- Bring your DUI attorney to the scene of your arrest to note the conditions
of the road where you failed a field sobriety test to determine if the
road conditions were not ideal for performing these tests.
- Talk with any "sobriety witnesses" such as any passengers in
your car when you were stopped who can testify to your alertness and driving
- You have seven days to contact the Nevada DMV to request a hearing to contest
your license suspension which happens after every DUI. Contact (or have
your attorney contact) the office as soon as possible to keep your license
from being suspended.
Contact my Las Vegas defense firm today. Free case evaluation!
As Las Vegas DUI lawyer, I can walk you through all of these steps and
provide representation for you all along the way.
Call my firm now to get started!